We are currently seeking an Associate Staff Scientist to increase our scientific consultation service capacity. The skill, creativity and efforts of the Associate Staff Scientist will directly contribute to the advancement of vision science worldwide.
VPixx Technologies (www.vpixx.com) is a privately held company serving the vision research community by developing innovative hardware and software tools for vision scientists. Founded in 2001, VPixx Technologies has built an international reputation for supplying visual displays and behavioural data acquisition instruments to researchers and instructors in visual psychophysics, electrophysiology, cognition, fMRI, and more.
The Staff Scientist will receive in-depth training on technical topics such as visual imaging technology, data acquisition hardware and system synchronization, and infrared eye tracking systems. This training will complement the scholarly background that the Staff Scientist has developed through prior academic degrees or research positions in visual perception, psychology or neuroscience research.
This salaried position includes health benefits and a profit-sharing retirement plan. Full-time employees of VPixx Technologies enjoy 37.5 h work weeks. The workspace is modern and brightly lit.
VPixx Technologies is located in the Greater Montreal metropolitan area, a short drive away from the Montreal downtown and the university cluster that includes McGill University, Concordia University, Université de Montréal, Université du Québec à Montréal, Université de Sherbrooke, and École de Technologie Supérieure.
Our office is in Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville, a picturesque city beside Mont-Saint-Bruno national park. Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville boasts an excellent quality of life for families.
- Develop workshops and educational material for current and future customers of the company.
- Support researchers in the development of their research protocols.
- Participate in the research and development of current and future products of the company.
- Prepare quotes for equipment purchases following scientific consultations.
- In a typical year, attend international scientific conferences worldwide, especially those of VSS and SfN. Staff Scientists can expect to travel 2-6 weeks per year.
- Possess an advanced degree (Ph.D. or Masters preferred) in neuroscience, experimental psychology, biomedical engineering, computer science or other relevant fields.
- Have a minimum of two years of experience developing or implementing experiment protocols for vision science. Experience working with human and non-human primate participants, rodents and other subject populations are all relevant.
- Experience with technical data collection and data processing, such as using specialized visual displays or eye trackers from VPixx Technologies and other manufacturers, force feedback systems, EEG, fMRI, MEG, OPM, and TMS.
- Have a record of vision science publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Excellent written and verbal English communications skills.
- Attention to detail, problem solving skills, a strong motivation, and a desire to learn how scientific equipment is designed and operated.
- Experience with one or more programming languages used in experiment design and data analysis, preferably Matlab and Python.
- Eligible to work in the province of Quebec, Canada.
For more information about the Associate Staff Scientist position:
- Those who are registered to attend the 2021 Virtual Vision Sciences Society meeting can attend the Connect with Industry social event. During this time, Dr. Sophie Kenny (Staff Scientist), and Peter April (CEO) will be available to answer questions about the new Staff Scientist position.
- See Staff Scientists at work during two V-VSS satellite events:
- The VPixx Online Classroom And Library (VOCAL) is a collection of online tutorials written by Staff Scientists to help researchers learn about VPixx device functionality and optimize their systems for research. The lectures, programs, and technical texts posted on this page are an excellent representation of the knowledge base that Staff Scientists develop while working at VPixx Technologies.
How to apply
- Applicants interested in the Associate Staff Scientist position should email a cover letter and CV to email@example.com
- Selected applicants will be contacted for interviews.